Friday, January 17, 2014

Our Life was about to change...

On January 17th, I left work slightly early. I was too antsy to stay, knowing we were picking up our very first foster kids that day.

We headed over to the FFA. I knew this was a big moment, and actually grabbed James' arm and stopped him on the sidewalk outside the door, took a deep breath, and realized that our life was about to change.

In the waiting room, at the train table, were two very cute little boys, a receptionist I remembered having met before, and two women I didn't know. I assumed that we would be introduced to the foster mom. To be honest, I had sort of rehearsed how our meeting would go, asking questions about their eating habits, bedtimes, and schedule, wishing her luck, etc. Nuh-uh. One woman leaned over to the other, said something, and then walked out. I don't think she even made eye contact with me.

The receptionist began talking to us while we got down and started talking to the boys. They seemed comfortable, if disinterested in us, until James got up and began taking their bags to the car. The older boy (Thing 1) said "hey, where's that guy going with that?" I told him he was putting them in our car so that they could come and stay at our house. He then shouted, excitedly "That guy's gonna be my new daddy?!!" I asked if that was okay and he said yes.

The littler boy (Thing 2) didn't talk, but was way into playing with the trains. Then he got it into his little head that taking a run down the hall would be a great idea, so I had to chase him (little did I know that was going to become a pattern...)

We sat down to talk to the staff there. I asked when they last ate was. They didn't know. I asked when bedtime was. They said, well I guess you get to start creating a schedule. We were introduced to the on-call guy (we were heading into a 3-day weekend) whom we could call in case of emergency. He said hi, then sped out the door. We had noticed his car was already running in the parking lot when we arrived. 

Barely 30 minutes later we were shown the door, our new charges in hand. We strapped them into the new car seats we got the day before and were on our (befuddled, overwhelmed) way.

Dinner was at Denny's, we stopped at the grocery store, and then took them home to see their new room

No comments:

Post a Comment